Custom Flower Pot Liners



 Hey Y'all !!!!

Wooooo HOOOOOO !!!   It's the first day of Spring ..... FINALLY ....  I've been so hunkered down .... following rules ..... staying home and washing and washing and washing my hands .... This whole Covid crap has been like one of those horrible dreams.  You know the kind .... the ones where you're paralyzed and you can't move - even though you are trying with all your might .... and even though you're screaming as hard as you can ..... nothing is coming out -  but today .... the first day of Spring ..... I finally feel like I'm awake from this nightmare.   

So I got me some pansies (I know it's a little late for those) and a couple of lenten roses and added some cheer to my front porch.  

My inspiration came from two sources .... One came from my new best friend (she doesn't know she's my new best friend and we've never even met - or spoken for that matter .... but you know how when we're so inspired by someone's posts we feel like we know them - well, maybe Covid just brought out the psycho Instagram stalker in me ... 

anyway ... I absolutely LOVE this instagram account - @hercountryliving.  She (Lucy) has the most beautiful English cottage and she always has the prettiest things on her porch.  One I particularly loved was a pair of boots with daffodils.  Isn't that pop of color just perfect on her front porch!

The second inspiration source was a planter I saw while on a school trip to Philadelphia with Abby a couple of years ago.  I've been wanting to recreate it forever.  Aren't they beautiful !  Well.  Today is the day.


My planters are such an odd size that I can never find a container to fit them.  So I either have to fill the entire thing with dirt or come up with some other creative way to do my little plantings inside them,  So I opted for the latter.  

I have bricks stacked in the bottom that my saucer sits on so the water won't run all out.  But I can never find the plastic bins that are the right size so I made my own with pet screen - you know - actual screen for screening in porches or screen doors.  Except it is made of nylon or some type of fiber that won't tear.  

First I measured across the middle of the planter - it was `12"  

Then I cut the circle.  This is easily done by folding a square piece of paper 3 times to cut the circle.  (Sorry - I didn't get a photo of any of this while I was making the real thing so I am going to show you my template - (I always make a template out of brown paper before I cut my fabric anyway so that is what you are seeing.  Not the pet screen.)
12" Square

Folded in half horizontally

Then fold in half vertically

Then fold the corner over so that they are even

Measure down from the point - 1/2 the circle size (mine is 6 because my circle is 12")


Cut through all the layers along the line


You should have a perfect circle.  
Next figure your side of your liner.  You will need to do some math.  Remember Pi?
That's the circumference of the circle.  It's 3.14 times the width of a circle.   
3.14 x 12 = 37.68" plus 1" for two 1/2" seam allowances

Mine needed to be 38.68" long

And I wanted it 11" high.  Cut to size.

Next Fold both ends together and stitch.

Make sure you stitch exactly 1/2" seam allowance or it won't fit your circle properly.

Pin and stitch your pet screen fabric together and you will have your custom size planter.


It does NOT have to be pretty.  Heck, you could even staple it together if you didn't want to sew it.
I don't know if hot glue would work but I don't see why it wouldn't.   Give it a try and let me know!




I got some kids rain boots from the thrift store and spray painted them with a can of green spray paint I already had.


Thanks so much @hercountryliving for the inspiration !!!



HELLLLLLLLOOOOOOO SPRING !!!!  COVID be GONE !!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the video on our YouTube Channel to hear all about this and even more projects.  Be sure and like us on FaceBook and visit us on Pinterest and our Instagram too !!!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EASY ZIP OFF OUTDOOR CURTAINS

Easy Dining Chair Slipcovers For Every Season

Here's to our health at Pate-Meadows